Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weavers Guild Conference

Hello Everyone, I have finally recovered from my adventure at Association of Northwest Weaving Guilds conference. I arrived on Wednesday to help set up the vendor booth for the store. That took two days of hard work. I was fortunate to be able to attend the opening speech by Madelyn Van der hoogt, editor of Handwoven magazine. She spoke on the evolving future of fibers in the weaving world. Friday morning I took an amazing workshop on weaving with blocka with Madelyn. My Saturday classes were with Bobbie Irwin on using painted weft in weaving and another class with Teresa Ruch on painting my own fibers. During my off time i worked in ETC's vendor booth with my bosses daughter. I meet the most interesting people while working the booth. Everyone is so friendly and excited about the things that they are learning. I feel like I made some amazing new friends at this conference just by working in the booth. One of them is Tom, and I hope he sees this and calls to say hello. I told him i would put him in my blog.
One of my great aha moments was in my meeting many of the famous teachers at the conference. I am such a groupie person who is in awe of their work. If it can be imagined I feel so inadequate around them and never know what to say, so I just blabber. What I found to be true is that these talented artistic people don't put themselves up on a pedastal. They are very humble and just love sharing their creativity as much as we like learing from them.
On my next blog i will write about the fashion show. So until then, create your dreams my fellow fiber friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment